Before dental implant technology grew into what it is today, the only treatment available to repair damaged teeth was to either extract the tooth, or apply dentures, bridges and root canals. However, dental implants are now the most common choice of treatment. They are safer and cause less damage to the surrounding teeth. However, although dental implants are a popular treatment choice, concerns continue to persist amongst patients.
There are many dental implant misconceptions broadcast either online or through word-of-mouth. Some of the typical myths that have been spoken about include:
- Dental Implants Do Not Resemble Your Natural Teeth
- Transform Your Diet and Avoid Junk Food and Sugary Treats
- Dental Implant Procedure Is Painful
- Dental Implants Are Expensive
- Dental Implants Are Not Worth It
These misconceptions are indeed false. Not only do dental implants resemble your natural teeth, but they are also stronger than your natural teeth, and are hardly noticeable once the correct shade is applied to match your current teeth.
Here are some actual truths about dental implants which provide why they work:
- Dental Implants Protect and Improve the Health of Your Teeth – When you lose or damage a tooth, other treatment options may involve tooth extraction, dentures or bridges. This may misalign the rest of your teeth, ruining your smile. With dental implants, other teeth will stay in its structure whilst the implant is infused into your jawbone, keeping the tooth firm in its place.
- Dental Implants Preserves Your Oral Health – You must stick to a certain diet if you have missing teeth. You don’t need to do this with an implant. Initially, once a few days have passed and the implant settles in your mouth, you can enjoy your favourite foods and treats. Although recommended that you enjoy your favorite foods moderately as part of a balanced diet, the misconception that you need to totally transform it is false.
- Dental Implants Are Natural Just Like Your Normal Teeth – The implants are designed to feel and fit exactly like all your other teeth. When the implant is infused into your jawbone, it helps maintain the strength and structure of your mouth. Dentists take special care to ensure the implant is not distinguishable from your natural teeth.
- Dental Implants Ensure You Can Eat Your Favourite Foods – Implants have a very minimal effect in your chewing and bite. Once the implant settles, continue to eat your favorite foods as normal. The difference between having an implant or a denture is that a denture tends to slide, making it difficult for you to chew. The bite force with an implant fitted can be applied just as you would with a natural set of teeth.
So, Does It Work?
Dental Implants deliver instant proven results. The treatment ensures that all your teeth stay healthy and natural. The facts of dental implants don’t mean you have no responsibility to look at them. They only deliver long-lasting results if you look after them. Consult your dentist for all the advice you need to care for your implants.
Click here to contact Hills Dental Group and see what our highly successful dental implant treatment can do for you!